Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Homeless Hut





A few months ago, I discovered a homeless man sleeping in the storage compartment in my carport. At the time, I was new to the apartment complex and still moving in. I thought I'd take another look in the storage compartment and maybe figure out what I'd keep in there. The first time I looked in the compartment, it was totally empty. On the second occasion a week or two later, there were a bunch of blankets and stuff in there. My initial thought was, "who put all this old camping gear in here?" So I started rooting around in the blankets only to discover that a man was curled up in there sleeping. Startled, I just said, "uh, sorry." And closed the door and walked off. I was going out of town the next day and didn't want to deal with it. When I came back, there was a padlock on the compartment. I assume someone else found the guy sleeping there and kicked him out.

Over the past few months, I've seen boxes of stuff and pieces of cardboard by the boarded up Burger King. And I saw the guy from my storage unit in the vicinity. Soon, he started building a shelter. Over the past 2 weeks, it's grown to be almost as big as my apartment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as a goonhead patrol member I demand daily reports on this hut.

Dr. Diabolical Dave Savage said...

Odd, as Head Goonhead of the Goonhead Patrol, I thought I was the one who made the demands.