Sunday, September 10, 2006

9/11

It's tough to watch all the stuff abou 9/11, and still, NYC is the only place that has really felt like home to me.

So many memories are dredged up about the aftermath of 9/11-- the smell of jet fuel/cement/plastic, the intermitent scares. So many inconveniences in the weeks and months after 9/11; trying to get back to Hoboken and being told that I have to go back to Newark, getting off at Jersey City into a taxi and the driver saying that eveything on the news is a lie.

A few weeks ago, I fell down the rabbit hole of looking at a bunch of the conspiracy theory websites. That sort of stuff enrages me. I was, in some respects "there," but my heart and thoughts really go out to those who were closer than I was. 17 blocks.

It's a tough call. I've survived cancer. My father has survived a tragic car crash. 9/11 is at the top of the list, too. People survive and move on.

1 comment:

unkiedev said...

Geez, Savs. I never knew you survived cancer. I always wonder if I'll have to go through it. LOTS of cancer in my family.

It was bizzarely quite, calm and beautiful here yesterday, just like it was then. I still remember speaking to you on the phone that morning, you dutifully at yer' desk, me being a slug-a-bed and dragging my feet.