Thursday, September 28, 2006

Refigerators and Phone Books


Been too busy to think. To balance out all the good in my life, my refrigerator quit working JUST as my home warranty expired. Actually, it quit working 2 days earlier. I was only reminded that I had a home warranty just as it expired. It all could be very convenient since my parents are coming in this weekend. I have a sneaking suspicion that my father would rather help me pick out a new refrigerator than go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And that'll give my mother another reason to come back. Plus, it solidifies the fact that we'll be eating out the entire time they're here.

So, the night before their arrival, I'm doing some house cleaning. Trying to at least make the place look somewhat presentable. I decided to do something with all the old newspapers and weekly ads that've been laying around. In the pile, I discovered some phone books that I never even bothered to crack open. In the age of the internet, who uses a phone book? At that point, another memory hit me. When I moved in with my NYC roommate, he pretty much had the main living space set up. In those days, I did use the phone books. And I always left them on the table with the phone. My roommate insisted that phone books belong on top of the refrigerator. I can see that making sense if the phone is BY the refrigerator, but the phone was in the main living area 30 feet away. Somehow, my logic of keeping phone books with the phone defied him and they stayed on top of the refrigerator.

Ah, memories. I still kinda miss that apartment.

No comments: