Saturday, June 24, 2006

Art-O-Matic 2004







In 2004, I was part of a huge group show in DC called Art-O-Matic. I think somewhere around 600 artists displayed work in an old building shortly before it was to be gutted and turned into condos. My friends Kirk Waldroff and Kim Bentley told me about it and I signed up at the last minute without a clue as to what I'd show. I ended up just filling a wall with existing paper bag puppets. To hang them, I punched a hole at the top of each one and crimped a metal grommet in the hole and just hung them from nails in the wall. The "Take One" sign refers to the box of business cards just below it, not the puppets. I was selling the puppets for $10 a pop. And I sold a few. I constantly wonder, what the hell am I gonna do with these things? They're kinda cool, but they're made out of compulsion rather than desire to make archival works of art for sale. No idea how long they'll last; they're just brown paper bags with Sharpie marker. Some are colored with highlighters, white out or Prismacolor pencils.

No comments: